You’ve just been invited to your first quince party and you are wondering whether you can wear jeans to this special ceremony? So the question is: can you wear jeans to a quinceanera? Well, yes you can but only if it is a private party at home or a casual gathering with close friends and family.
A quince party is an important celebration and it is usually a big event. So, before you buy your outfit for this occasion, you will need to know where the event is held. For a home party, men and women can keep it simple yet classy.
Men can ace a charismatic look by wearing blue jeans with a white shirt. Amp up the style with a casual blazer and semi-formal leather shoes. Women can also nail the look in jeans. Tuck in a chic blouse with a pair of skinny jeans. Slip into slingback heels or wedges to look fab. Just keep in mind not to wear anything too revealing and unnecessarily flashy. After all, it is a birthday party of a 15-year old girl so keep it conformed to acceptable standards.
When a quinceanera is being celebrated lavishly in a reception hall or somewhere outside then formal attire is a better option. However, you don’t have to go overboard; a semi-formal outfit will work as well. Especially, if you are only an invitee and not a chambelan or dama. Also, jeans are appropriate for a charro-themed quinceanera as it captures the cowboy theme.
In the rest of this article, we will explore a few flexible options and find out what you can wear for a quinceanera. Before we head there, let us understand a little more about this event and find out some basic rules and tips.
What is a Quinceanera?
Quinceanera is a traditional celebration that is associated with Hispanic people and it is celebrated when a girl turns fifteen, marking her passage from girlhood to young adulthood. It is most popular in Mexico, Central, and South American countries.
Quinceanera is both a religious as well as a cultural event. In the past, when a girl turned fifteen, elders would teach the young girl certain skills. These skills were required from a woman in preparation for her role as a wife. She is taught to embrace the religious customs, the importance of family values, as well as social responsibilities. Mainly, the girl should be ready for childbearing and marriage. However, times have changed now and social conventions have relaxed.
The influence of the Latin tradition has resulted in the increasing popularity of this customary celebration all over the United States. Americans are more familiar with a Sweet Sixteen which shares the same theme as a quinceanera. A typical quince party includes religious ceremonies, gift exchanges, choreographed dance performances, and speeches. There is also delicious food and lively music in abundance.
What Should Guests Wear to a Quinceanera?
In a quinceanera, it is common to have a religious mass at the church followed by a party. You can either wear formal, semi-formal, or casual attires to quinceanera events. The parties are usually theme-based. So, you need to dress according to where the quinceanera is taking place. For first-timers, you will need to follow certain etiquettes:
- Appearance matters so you need to be well-groomed.
- Remember to dress appropriately by not underdressing or overdressing.
- Do not dress provocatively because of religious significance.
- Avoid anything too casual such as T-shirts, shorts, running shoes, or yoga pants.
- Be mindful to not dress more elaborately than the quinceanera.
What Can Men Wear to a Quinceanera?
As a guest, excitement, and nervousness are expected in your first quinceanera. After all, a quince party is almost as grandiose as a wedding. So, your best option is to dress formally on this occasion. Now, let us look at the types of clothes that you will need to include in your wardrobe.
1. A black fitted blazer or a suit jacket: A black blazer is versatile and timelessly stylish. The fabric and fit need to be right to make a super impact. A velvet-textured dressy jacket in a slim fit can effortlessly make you look handsome. You can choose other neutral colors too such as gray, navy, beige, and white.
2. A necktie or a bow tie: Every gentleman needs to have a tie in their closet. With a tie, you can easily notch up your style. A bowtie is an even better alternative as it is perfect for formal events.
3. A dress shirt: A dress shirt or a button-down shirt in solid white or neutral colors will look great. Just make sure that it fits perfectly and is neatly ironed. You can even wear the shirt with a nice tie.
4. A suit: A two-piece suit with a formal jacket and matching pants will look simply stunning. Make sure the suit fits right and the color matches your style. Black, gray, and navy are safe options to choose from.
5. A crisp pair of trousers: A pair of pleated trousers, dress pants, khakis, or chinos will work for this occasion. The best colors to rely on are black, beige, grey, and navy. The key is to ensure that your pants are well-ironed and well-fitted. For an informal theme, you can wear jeans.
6. Dress Shoes: A formal outfit is incomplete without a smart pair of formal shoes. Oxford shoes are a perfect pick as they go well with almost every formal outfit.
7. Choose the Right Belt: You will need a formal belt that matches your tie or shoes to complete your ensemble.
8. Accessorize: The easiest way to up your style game is with a classy watch. You can also earn extra points by adding more elegance to your attire with a tie-clip and cufflinks. A pocket square in the breast pocket will add more flair to your suit.
There, not too bad right? Men may not have as many options as women, but isn’t that a good thing? It does not take too much effort to look stunning. These are some of the basic stylish essentials that every man needs to have in their wardrobe. This way, you can always be prepared not just for a quinceanera but also for many formal celebrations and big events.
What Dresses Can Women Wear to a Quinceanera Party?
There are many fabulous and cute dresses that girls can wear to a quince party. The only important thing that you will need to find out is the theme and color of the party. This way, you can avoid wearing the same color as the quinceanera and the damas.
Let us find out the types of dresses that women can wear as a guest to look pretty for this delightful event. We will leave out the floor-length ball gowns as you don’t want to outshine the birthday girl on her special day. The types of dresses girls can wear to a quinceanera party include:
1. Peplum Dress: These dresses have a vintage charm to them. The ruffles can be around the neck, waist, or the hem of the dress. Peplum dresses are feminine and graceful and you can easily carry them off without much effort.
2. Swing Dress: Flaunt your legs in a knee-length swing dress. A pretty pink fit and flare dress with the flowy fabric below the waist will look lovely.
3. Bardot Floral Midi Dress: Floral dresses can never go out of fashion. An off-shoulder/Bardot dress with floral prints will give out a happy vibe and effortless style.
4. Maxi Dress: Nothing beats the elegance and glamour of a long maxi dress. You can play around with fancy prints and pleats. Long-sleeved vintage maxi dresses will also make a classy style statement.
5. Little Black Dress: Yes, you can wear an LBD to a quinceanera. A little black dress works for most formal events and there’s no doubt that it can make you look ravishing. After all, an LBD is a must-have in every woman’s wardrobe.
6. A blouse and a skirt: A beautiful chiffon blouse with flutter sleeves and a necktie when paired with a flared or floral skirt will look gorgeous.
7. Lace Dress: You cannot go wrong with the ever-trending lace dresses. Don a gorgeous white cocktail dress with stunning earrings and have a ball at the quince party.
Can You Wear Black to a Quinceanera?
Yes, you can certainly wear black to a quinceanera. Black is a classic color that never fails to lend a sophisticated charm to any ensemble. You can wear a black outfit for the religious ceremony as well as the party.
However, quinceaneras are all about color and glamour. So, instead of going for a complete black on black look, you can add a pop of color to your outfit. Men can wear a black suit with a white shirt.
Another option is to throw on a light blue dress jacket over a black shirt and black trousers. You can also add a subtle touch of color to your black ensemble with a red tie or a vibrant pocket square. As for women, a little black dress is allowed for a small as well as a big celebration. You can glam up your black outfit with sparkling jewels such as earrings or a striking necklace. A bright lip shade or a chic gold-toned clutch will also work wonders.
What Shoes Do I Wear to a Quinceanera?
Your footwear needs to complement the outfit. Keep in mind the theme of the party, location and season when you pick the shoes that work best for your chosen outfit. Below are a few options that you can choose from.
Dress Shoes for Men
- Monk Strap
- Penny Loafers
- Chelsea Leather Boots
Nothing beats the look of a nice and shiny pair of dress shoes. To keep it semi-formal, you can wear loafer dress shoes or moccasins with a pair of jeans. Avoid sandals, flip-flops, sneakers, or sports shoes as they are a definite no-no.
Dress Shoes for Women
There are many pretty and cute options when it comes to women’s footwear. Let’s leave out the high heels and stilettos for the quinceanera. You can pick shoes with floral embellishments, cut-out patterns, and pretty frills for an extra zing.
Quinceanera Styling Guide for Men
Spring Look: Start with a pastel-colored formal shirt either soft pink or powder blue. Wear a grey blazer jacket over it with matching grey trousers. Finish it up with a pair of tan derby shoes. You can elevate the look of this outfit with a light floral print tie or a lapel flower pin.
Fall Look: Try colors that match with the warm hues of autumn such as, burgundy, mustard yellow, navy blue, olive green, or burnt orange. A navy turtleneck with burgundy or a grey suit will look great. Complete the look with brown Chelsea boots.
Winter Look: Stay warm in style by wearing stylish layers. Team a white button-down shirt with a V-neck sweater or a waistcoat. Play with luxurious fabrics and patterns, you can wear a wool suit, a tweed jacket, or a herringbone suit. Complete with a pair of black trousers and oxford shoes or black winter boots. For accessories, you can go for a knitted tie or a cashmere scarf.
Quinceanera Styling Guide for Women
Spring Look: A floral printed maxi dress or a knee-length Bardot swing dress with a belt will look lovely. Put on cute ballet flats or wedges. You can wear drop earrings and carry a small handbag as an accessory. A messy braid or an open layered hairstyle will give the look a playful flair.
Summer Look: Go for a lace midi sheath dress with cap sleeves. This look will be a stunner when paired with slingback kitten heels or peep-toes. For more options, you can try a sleek white jumpsuit, a cute ruffled dress in a soft pink tone, or team a sleeveless lace top with a pleated midi skirt.
Fall Look: Pick either a warm red sheath dress or a soft teal fit and flare dress to be your outfit for this season. Add shimmer with statement earrings and a matching clutch to look glamorous.
Winter Look: It might be cold outside but you can look smoking hot in a little black dress. Just don’t forget to carry a jacket or a shawl for when you head out. Winter dresses are all about dark tones, shimmer, and long sleeves. You can also wear a slit maxi dress with puff sleeves or a shimmery one-shoulder dress.
You can use this styling guide as a reference to play around and experiment with various looks based on the theme of the quinceanera.
Have a Fun Time at the Quinceanera!
The most important thing to remember is to have fun. Quinceaneras are happy and memorable occasions. So, go out there and make memories to last a lifetime. Be comfortable in what you wear and remember not to go overboard. Also, don’t forget – if you are planning to dance, make sure your footwear agrees with that thought. Follow these simple tips and you are sure to have a wonderful time.