Can I put lotion on my armpits? Many people often ask this question and if you are wondering whether it is safe to use a body lotion or a moisturizer on your underarms, then the answer to that is yes. Our armpits need hydration too, just like the rest of our body does.
Maybe not as frequently as the way we moisturize our hands but once or twice a week is more than sufficient. In this article, we will learn about underarm care and what are the best lotions that you can use to keep your underarms smooth and supple.
Why is Underarm Care Important?
Many of us neglect certain areas of our body and armpits are one of them. Taking care of the underarm skin is as important as taking care of our face, hair, hands, and feet. Many women even refrain from wearing sleeveless clothes because of odor, discoloration, dark underarm patches, and other issues. But taking care of our underarms is simple and not a complicated process.
Many of us think that sweating is unhygienic. In fact, sweating is good for the skin as it allows the skin to breathe. The sweat is not a problem here, it is the odor that is caused due to the bacteria present on the skin. This is why, it is important to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, and deodorize. This routine can make all the difference in improving the skin condition of our underarms.
Can I Put Lotion on my Armpits After Shaving?
Yes, you can. It would be great if you can moisturize your skin overnight for a smooth shaving experience. Sometimes, during the shaving process, there is a possibility of getting razor burns or cuts. So, once you come out of the shower, don’t forget to hydrate the underarm area as it is crucial to prevent any skin irritation.
Can I Put Lotion on my Armpits After Waxing?
Yes, you should. When it comes to waxing, it is necessary to gently cleanse the underarm area before waxing to remove sweat, dead skin cells, or any grime from the surface of the skin. Whether you pick soft wax or hard wax after the waxing process, avoid applying deodorants or any chemical fragrances to your underarms for at least 24-hours. Do moisturize with gentle oil-based products, baby oil, or a rejuvenating lotion to soothe the skin and prevent ingrown hair. Preferably use a fragrance-free moisturizer.
What To Avoid After Underarm Waxing?
A few things that you need to keep in mind after underarm waxing:
1. Avoid wearing tight clothes: Wear loose-fitting clothes after you have just waxed your underarms to allow breathability. Tight-fitting clothes can rub against the sensitive area of freshly-waxed underarms and cause irritation.
2. Avoid waxing more than once: If you notice any hair on your underarms after waxing, then refrain from waxing the same area twice. If you’re unable to remove all the hair at once, then apply the wax in different sections. But never apply hot wax on the same area as it can damage the skin. Another option is to use tweezers.
3. Avoid deodorants: Do not scrub your underarms after waxing, or use perfumed products, deodorants, and fragrant moisturizers for at least 24-hours.
What Oil to Use After Waxing Armpits?
You can use gentle oil-based products which do not contain too many chemicals or fragrances. Use mild and natural oils like tea tree oil, baby oil, jojoba, or coconut oil to soothe your underarms after waxing and to remove any wax residue.
What Does Lotion Do to Your Underarms?
We might ignore our underarms thinking they are usually damp and not as dry as our hands or feet. But sometimes the armpits can get dry too, especially in winter or after a hot shower or after shaving/waxing.
The dry skin can rub against itself, making it prone to chafing. This can also lead to parched skin, rashes, or ingrown hair. So by using a nourishing cleanser and by moisturizing the armpits pits regularly, you will be doing them a favor. Your underarm skin is as important as the rest of the body, using oils and nourishing lotions can help the underarm skin to remain clean, soft, supple, and healthy.
What are the Best Types of Lotions to Use on My Underarms?
1. CeraVe Moisturising Lotion:
- This daily body lotion is gentle on the skin and is ideal for dry or sensitive skin.
- It is free of fragrances or any harsh chemicals, thus making it suitable to be used on your underarms to keep them hydrated and nourished.
- The light texture of this lotion, the essential ceramides, and hyaluronic acid will help in retaining the natural moisture of your skin without making it greasy.
2. Beautizeal Underarm Cream:
- This cream includes natural ingredients and coconut oil making it safe to be used on sensitive areas of the body.
- The gentle and effective ingredients used in this cream like glycerol, milk extracts, and squalane will keep your skin soft and supple without causing any skin irritation.
- It also helps in repairing damage, reducing hyperpigmentation, brightening the skin, and protecting it from any infections.
3. Tea Tree Oil Balm:
- Made from all-natural ingredients and no harsh chemicals, this tea tree oil balm is perfect for sensitive areas of the skin.
- Be it razor burns, rashes, sores, skin irritations, or severe dry skin, this balm will help in soothing and providing relief.
- It includes a combination of different natural oils like tea tree oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil, and more. There are no artificial ingredients, fragrances, or parabens making it safe to be used on underarms.
4. IntiMD Chafe Lotion:
- This wonderful hypo-allergenic lotion is great for sensitive skin. It prevents chafing and friction caused by excessive sweating, tight clothing, non-breathable fabrics, or other physical activities like running, cycling, etc.
- The lotion is dermatologically tested and includes coconut oil, jojoba oil, and aloe vera to keep your skin well moisturized.
- It is free of harsh chemicals and is safe to be used on underarms, thighs, and other intimate areas.
5. Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion:
- This daily moisturizing lotion is great for dry skin. As it is gentle and light on the skin, you can include it in your daily skin routine.
- It is non-greasy, fragrance-free, and will quickly get absorbed by the skin and underarms.
- The use of nourishing oat and rich emollients will leave your skin feeling beautifully healthy and nourished.
6. Ancient Greek Remedy Pure Moisturizer:
- This 100% natural moisturizer includes extra virgin olive, oil, Vitamin E, Lavender Essential Oil, and other raw natural ingredients that are proven to be effective.
- This skin cream is suitable for all skin types. It is safe to be applied on the face, hands, underarms, cuticles, and even on the hair.
- This moisturizer protects and nourishes the entire body. It will help in hydrating, reducing wrinkles, and restoring the natural moisture of your skin to give a firm and radiating, healthy glow.
So, let’s go through it once again. Is it safe to use a moisturizer on our underarms? Yes, it is. As you already know by now, our natural oils are sometimes lost due to different reasons. It can be the weather, the harsh soaps, shaving, waxing, deodorants, etc which is why we need to protect our underarms by cleansing them regularly and moisturizing them whenever necessary to keep them hydrated. If you are shaving and waxing, do it gently and always give importance to underarm care post the process. With these tips in mind, go ahead and pamper your underarms with some nourishing and soothing lotions.