Does tanning lotion expire? Most self-care, beauty, and makeup products have an expiration date on them. This date represents the day you should stop using the product and get a new bottle. Depending on the type of beauty product you’re using, you’ll find different ranges of shelf life and expiration dates.
For instance, some makeup products like mascara and eyeshadow have shorter shelf lives because they can collect bacteria and cause eye infections if expired. Other products like lotion, shampoo and conditioner, and tanning lotion have longer shelf lives.
Are you asking yourself, does tanning lotion expire? We’ve got answers! Read on to learn everything you need to know about the shelf life of tanning lotion if it expires, and how long you have until you need to toss your tanner and get a new one.
Does Self Tanner Expire?
Tanning lotion comes in many shapes and sizes. Some tanning lotions, self-tanners, and tanning mousses look different and behave differently on the skin. While tanning lotion has a shelf-life and will expire eventually, do all tanning products? Does self-tanner expire?
The answer is yes. Like most cosmetics and tanning lotions, self-tanner does have an expiration date. In other words, there is a specific life span of your self-tanner until it will no longer function like it used to.
Why does self-tanner expire? Let’s break it down! Essentially, the lifespan has to do with the ingredients, chemical makeup, and more. All ingredients expire naturally at some point. Even with the use of preservatives and chemicals, products still expire.
The most important ingredient that influences the expiration date of self-tanners is known as DHA, or dihydroxyacetone. This ingredient is responsible for the smell most self-tanners are associated with. This ingredient goes out of date eventually and can lose pigment when you try to tan.
Read on to learn how long you have before self-tanner expires!
How Long Does Self Tanner Last Before It Expires?
The majority of self-tanners have a shelf life of about one year after use or the opening of the product. If your product is sealed and unopened, don’t begin your countdown until the first time you use it.
Other self-tanners have a longer shelf life, too, so if you see a “best if used by” label on your self-tanner, the date listed is a good indicator of when your self-tanner will expire. Always look at the label of your tanning products to gauge how long you have to use them.
Best Self Tanners That Are Highly Rated
1. Coco & Eve Self Tanner Mousse Kit – All Natural Sunless Tanning Mousse
- NATURAL LOOKING, SUN KISSED SKIN WITHOUT SUN DAMAGE OR CHEMICALS. The world's first 100% Natural DHA self-tan body treatment with full skin care benefits. Transforms your skin without any of those nasty streaks or blotches for a beautiful natural looking, golden glow with no orangey tones.
- ANTI-CELLULITE & ANTI-AGING WITH ZERO NASTIES. This lightweight mousse delivers an instant bronze glow that is fast drying and develops in just 2 hours to a long-lasting tan. Infused with raw virgin coconuts, botanicals and amino acids to hydrate, blurs pigmentation and stretch marks to perfect your skin. Created using our unique Cellushape technology enriched with powerful natural antioxidants like fig, banana, papaya and cocoa to improve signs of aging.
- SMELL SO GOOD, YOU’LL WANT MORE. Our Sunny Honey self tan has a tropical mango and guava fragrance that gives you the feel of an island escape. No more biscuit smells! Get ready to rock that tan glow! A little goes a long way as each bottle has roughly 260 pumps and can last approx 10-20 full body tanning sessions.
- EASY APPLICATION WITHOUT ANY TRANSFER. Lightweight, non-sticky formula to be applied by hand in circular motions. Use only a small pump to apply the tan to tricky-to-tan areas like the feet, hands, face and ears. Shower in warm water after 2 hours and gently pat skin dry. You may also wish to sleep in it overnight for a deeper and longer-lasting tan as our tan doesn't transfer! Psst, you may even use a fine-tipped brush or freckle stencil to make faux freckles!
2. MINETAN Body Skin 1 Hour Express Dark Self Tanner Treatment Foam
- THE TAN THAT WON'T SWEAT OFF - Made to complement the hard work you put into your body and built for the active person, Workout Ready Self Tan Foam boasts a unique formulation that allows perspiration to pass through the tan instead of taking it off while delivering a super dark, brown finish. This is the self tan built for the active person and it won’t sweat off so you can tan while you tone
- UNIQUE SKIN THERAPY EXPERIENCE - Infused with ultra moisturizing, nourishing & skin loving ingredients for a unique salon professional tanning treatment. Enriched with caffeine, guarana and intensely hydrating avocado, coconut and grapeseed oils to lock in moisture while smoothing, softening and rejuvenating your skin
- FLAWLESS & STREAK-FREE RESULTS - The easiest way to create professional salon results in your very own home. Suitable for face & body. Suits all skin types. No orange tones. No fake tan smell
- EASY & FAST - The easiest way to create professional salon results in your very own home with our 1 Hour Express Tan formula. Apply to clean, exfoliated skin using our Bronze On Applicator Mitt. Shower in 1 hour for a natural tan. Leave on longer, for a deeper darker skin finish. Rinse with lukewarm water only for 45 seconds. Do not use soap or scrubs. Following your first shower your tan will continue to deepen in color over the next 24 hours
3. St. Tropez Self Tan Classic Bronzing Mousse
- Our most iconic, fool proof and natural-looking tan. This tinted tanning mousse is easy-to-apply, streak-free and adapts to your skin tone for up to 10 days wear with no self tan smell. Best for first time tanners or trusted results time and again
- Long-lasting, lightweight and 100% clean fake tan. Providing 24 hours hydration, quick drying and non-sticky
- Use our tan Applicator Mitt for trusted streak-free results and wait 60 seconds before getting dressed
4. Beauty By Earth Self Tanner
- SUN-KISSED SKIN, NOT ORANGE: Picking the right color fake tan will ensure no orange color on your skin. For fair or pale skin, use fair to medium. For olive skin or skin that tans easily, use medium to dark. You will be left with a natural glow.
- CLEAN INGREDIENTS, NO JUNK: Beauty by Earth has been in the Self Tanners Best Sellers category for years. It's formulated with organic aloe vera, shea butter & many botanical extracts that benefit and hydrate your skin without dyes or toxins.
- BODY LOTION, CAN BE USED ON FACE: This sunless tanning lotion was formulated for the body, however it can be used as a face tanner. If you are prone to breakouts, use the Face Self Tanner Lotion as it is specifically formulated for a glowing complexion.
- MANY FORMATS AVAILABLE, ALL USA MADE: We have sunless tanner in just about every format. You are sure to find the best self tanner. Check out the Tanning Mousse, Spray Tan, Tanning Drops, Face Self Tanner Spray & all of the other formats offered.
5. Tan Physics True Color Sunless Tanner Tanning Lotion
- PAMPER YOUR SKIN - Tan Physics replenishes and hydrates your skin with proven natural ingredients including Argan Oil, Coconut Oil, Natural Caramel & Sugars, Organic Aloe Vera, and Hydrolyzed Collagen
Can You Use Expired Tanning Lotion?
You’ve shaved your legs, exfoliated your skin, prepped your clothes, pulled out your tanning lotion, and are ready to spend a relaxing night tanning your skin. When you look at your bottle, you realize it expired a few months ago.
Can you use expired tanning lotion? The answer is yes, using expired tanning lotion won’t hurt your skin or cause a reaction. However, it’s often not ideal to use expired tanning lotion as it may produce an imperfect tan result. If you do choose to use an expired tanning lotion, you risk getting a splotchy, uneven tan, so it’s important to weigh your options beforehand.
How to Tell if Tanning Lotion is Expired
Most tanning lotion and other self-tanning products indicate their expiration date on the bottle. Whether on the lid, on the side of the bottle, or even printed on the bottom or the label, you should be able to find some mark of how long you can expect your tanning lotion to last.
However, if you can’t find this mark, if it’s worn off, or if it’s not readable, don’t panic. There are a few ways to tell if your tanning lotion is expired. Let’s take a closer look at some indicators for how to tell if tanning lotion is expired.
Likely the first thing you notice when you crack open your bottle of tanning lotion is the smell. Most lotions have a beachy, coconut, or summer-like smell. However, if your tanning lotion has expired, you may notice a different, adverse smell.
If you’re unsure whether your tanning lotion is still usable, check the smell. If you notice a particularly bad smell that’s different than the usual tanning lotion scent, it’s probably time to get a new one.
Next, the consistency of your tanning lotion may change after your lotion has lived past its shelf life. Most tanning lotions and products are made with oils, water, and other ingredients. After a few years, these ingredients begin to separate, altering the consistency of your tanning lotion to a watery, mousse formula to a chunky, separated, uneven consistency.
If the consistency of your tanning lotion has changed, the ingredients won’t be able to work together to produce the tan you love. Plus, the texture may allow for uneven distribution on the skin and an uneven, splotchy tan. It’s best to find a new tanner if you notice changes in your tanning lotion’s consistency.
What Happens if You use Expired Self Tanner?
Using an expired tanner isn’t usually dangerous. If your tanning product contains harmful chemicals, toxins, or dangerous ingredients, it may cause a reaction, but most self-tanners are made with natural ingredients and gentle preservatives that aren’t harmful when expired. So, in most cases, you won’t experience any dangerous side effects from using an expired self-tanner.
However, it’s best to avoid it if possible. An expired self-tanner won’t be able to give you the results you’re looking for. You’ll likely have an uneven tan, splotchy outcome, and even have a worse smell on your skin after using an expired tanner.
The general rule of thumb is to avoid this if possible, but if you accidentally use an expired tanner, don’t worry. Aside from a bad tan, you shouldn’t experience any negative reactions.
Like most beauty and tanning products, self-tanner and tanning lotion don’t last forever. However, they tend to last a long time. If you use these products regularly, you should be able to avoid running out of them. Simply keep an eye on the expiration date and pay attention to things like consistency, smell, and tan outcomes.