Rollerball vs spray perfume, which one is better? This must be a lingering question for many people who want to get the best fragrance that will help them smell good. If you smell pretty, then you feel pretty, isn’t that true? Choosing a fragrance that suits your personality can work wonders in boosting confidence and making us feel attractive. There are many types of perfumes and colognes available in the market.
Whether it’s a rollerball perfume, a spray bottle, or a solid perfume is also something that you’ll need to take into consideration while selecting fragrances.
While both rollerball and spray perfumes are excellent choices to make, it can be confusing sometimes to decide which one to use and on what occasion. Read on to clarify these doubts. We’ll do a comparison in this article to get a better understanding of rollerball vs spray perfumes.
What is a Rollerball Perfume?
Rollerball or roll-on perfumes have a ball on top that is used to roll the perfume onto your skin. You can use rollerball perfumes to precisely dab the scent directly on the pulse points.
The best pulse spots on which you can apply perfume are on your neck, on your wrist, and behind the ears. You can also apply it on your collarbones and if you want to keep it a little subtle then inside your elbow and behind the knees can also be perfect spots.
It is preferred that rollerball perfumes are not applied to clothes. As the scent lasts longer when applied directly to the skin. Roll-on perfumes allow easy application and are extremely convenient to carry around while traveling.
Since rollerball perfumes are usually small in size, you will not have to worry about leaks or spills at any point in time.
What is a Spray Perfume?
Spray perfumes are the ones that are most common. They use the spray method to diffuse liquid in the form of mist through the nozzle. You can use spray perfumes on your clothes if you do not like the product to come in direct contact with your skin.
When it comes to portability, spray perfumes are a little more difficult to travel with than rollerball perfumes.
Spray perfumes are slightly more intense than rollerball perfumes, they have higher top notes. Rollerball perfumes on the other hand are not as intense but can last for a long time when applied to the skin.
Types of Fragrances
Before we proceed any further, let us get a quick understanding of the different types of fragrances:
1. Parfum or Perfume: Parfum is a pure version and has the highest concentration level of fragrance. That would be around 20% to 30% when compared to the rest. Perfumes can stay for a long time on the skin, about eight to ten hours and they usually are the most expensive.
2. Eau de Parfum: This type has a slightly lower concentration level than parfums, around 15% to 20% and it can last for about five to six hours. Eau de Parfum is more popular since it is not as expensive as parfums and the scent lasts for a good amount of time. EDPs have a richer scent and work great for special occasions.
3. Eau de Toilette: EDTs have a fragrance concentration of about 5% to 15%. These are the next most popular types among the general masses as you can wear them to work and for other daily activities.
4. Eau de Cologne: EDCs have the lowest fragrance concentration of about 2% to 5%. Colognes usually have light and airy notes and do not last for long hours on the skin. EDCs can be used many times in a day or as a refresher to stay fresh. They are also perfect for those who are sensitive to strong fragrances.
What is the difference between rollerball perfumes vs spray perfumes?
Some of the differences between rollerball and perfumes include:
1. Method of Application: Rollerball perfumes work best when applied directly on the pulse points whereas spray perfumes are sprayed at a close distance from the skin and can be used on the skin and clothes.
2. Area/Site of Application: With spray perfumes, there is a wider application area whereas roll-on perfumes offer a more intimate and concentrated application on a particular area of the skin.
3. Sizes: Roll-on perfumes are mostly available in small-sized bottles, anywhere between 10 ml to 15 ml (0.33 – 0.5 oz). The size and shape of spray perfume bottles are often double or bigger.
4. Cost: Spray perfumes are more expensive when compared to rollerball perfumes.
5. Portability: Rollerball perfumes can be carried easily wherever you go. You can tuck it in your wallet, purse, or sling bag. Spray bottles are bigger and are mostly packaged in glass bottles, which makes them less portable. Plus there are chances of leaks or spillage of your precious perfume which you would never want while traveling.
How Long Do Rollerball Perfumes Last?
Roll-on perfumes can last for a longer duration of about four to five hours on the skin. But since it’s so easy to carry around, you can always use it at any time of the day whenever necessary.
Next, if you are wondering how many days a bottle of roll-on perfume lasts, then a 10 ml bottle can last for about one to two months when used daily. Also, it can last longer than two months or less depending upon your usage.
Is Rollerball Perfume Better than Spray Perfume?
This again depends on your preferences, you cannot say one is better than the other. If you do not like sillage and don’t prefer the lingering smell of perfume in the air, then roll-on perfumes are the best. This way the scent remains close to your skin.
Rollerball perfumes are also not very intense, you can just lightly dab the fragrance on your pulse points and be good for the day. Additionally, you can always carry it with you and reach for it in your handbag when you need it.
How to Apply Roll-on Perfume?
Fragrances can make a stronger impact than attires or appearances. So, wearing your scent right can leave an equally lasting impression as dressing right for a particular occasion. Some people have a signature fragrance that defines their personality.
Also, wearing different scents for different occasions is an intimate way of sharing a little bit about your mood and thoughts. Like the experts say applying perfume is an art, let us master this art by learning the techniques of how to do it right.
- Dab rollerball perfume directly on the skin to get the most effective results. You can also apply body lotion or moisturize before applying the scent onto your skin. This will allow the scent to bind with your skin oils and last longer.
- Use it on the pulsation zones as those are the naturally warm areas, ensuring that the fragrance does not fly away within a few hours. Like we already mentioned earlier in the article –
- The nape of your neck
- Behind the ears
- Insides of your elbows
- Back of your knees
These selected areas emit body heat allowing the perfume to last for long hours.
- Don’t overdo it, a little bit can go a long way. Do not apply the perfume to all the pulse points, just a few touch-ups and drops on two to three areas is good enough.
- Dab or lightly roll the scent back and forth on your skin and leave it alone. Resist the urge to rub the fragrance into your skin as the top notes of the perfume can fade and evaporate in this process.
Buy the Best Rollerball Perfumes
1. Kai Perfume Oil
It is one of the most loved roll-on perfume oils that you can use on a day-to-day basis. Its floral and enticing fragrance of gardenia will keep you feeling beautiful throughout the day. Apply sparingly on your wrists or behind the ears.
2. Sweet Like Candy Rollerball by Ariana Grande
If you’re in a sassy mood, then Sweet Like Candy is just what you need to pep up your day. This roll-on EDP has deliciously sweet and desirable notes to make you feel glam.
3. Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium Eau De Parfum Rollerball
Spice things up with the bold and sweet notes of this perfume. The intoxicating blend of strong coffee, sweet vanilla, and floral white flowers makes it dangerously desirous.
4. Victoria’s Secret Bombshell Rollerball Perfume
Feel ravishing with this perfume that has floral and fruity notes to keep you fresh and confident all day long.
5. Versace Yellow Diamond Eau de Toilette Roll-On
The irresistibly fresh and captivating floral notes of lemon, bergamot, and pear sorbet make this EDP perfect for those golden summer days.
You know, the best part about roll-on perfumes is that they are available in small sizes and don’t cost a bomb. This way, you can always try out the top-notch brands and find your signature fragrance. Go on now, seize the day by smelling and feeling glamorous.