We all want our skin to be nourished and radiant. If there could be one secret ingredient that can work wonders on our skin, then jojoba oil is just what you need. But let us first tackle the question – does jojoba oil darken skin? No, it does not. In fact, the nourishing antioxidants and vitamins present in jojoba oil help in healing wounds and lightening dark skin patches.
Now, what is jojoba oil and why is it so good for our skin? Let us find out more about its benefits and how you can use this oil on your skin.
What is Jojoba Oil?
The jojoba plant is a shrub that’s grown commercially to produce jojoba oil. It is extracted from the seed of the Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) plant. It requires minimum maintenance and grows in areas that are high in temperatures like deserts or semi-desert areas.
Jojoba seeds were first used by Native Americans where the seeds were softened by heating and then crushed to a fine wax-like consistency. This paste was applied on burns or to heal skin and hair conditions.
Jojoba oil is a wax ester (fatty acid + fatty alcohol) that is non-greasy and can be easily absorbed by the skin making it look naturally smooth. The properties of jojoba oil match the molecular structure and composition of our skin’s natural production of sebum.
Hence using this will not clog the pores or make the skin look greasy. Additionally, it also contains antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties making it suitable for all skin types – dry, oily, acne-prone, and sensitive skin.
Can Jojoba Oil Make the Skin Darker?
No, jojoba oil will not darken the skin. Generally, none of the oils can cause skin darkening. Unless the skin is prone to allergic reactions which are very rare as jojoba oil is safe to be used even on sensitive skin. Sometimes, certain oils can cause hyperpigmentation.
If you over-expose your skin in the sun, there are chances of sunburns which can result in skin darkening. Hence, it’s always good to use sunscreen when you step out to keep your skin protected from the harmful rays of the sun. Sunscreen helps in keeping the skin safe from sunburn and premature aging.
Benefits of Using Jojoba Oil
1. Moisturizes Your Skin
Jojoba oil helps in effectively balancing and maintaining the moisture content of your skin. It does not clog skin pores, allows the skin to breathe, and prevents overproduction of sebum. You can include this in your everyday skincare routine by adding a few drops of oil to your daily moisturizing cream for a healthy glow.
2. Soothing and Healing
Applying jojoba oil to your skin can help with various skin conditions like dryness, flaking, acne, and scars. It is rich in antioxidants and vitamins that can help soothe dehydrated skin and sunburns. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory properties present in this oil will help in improving the overall condition of your skin.
3. Antibacterial Properties
Jojoba oil naturally contains antibacterial and antifungal properties. This helps in keeping the skin safe from everyday exposure to various pollutants and bacteria.
4. Rich in Antioxidants and Vitamins
Jojoba oil is rich in antioxidants, vitamins such as A, E, and essential fatty acids. The skin-embracing components present in this oil can naturally repair cell damage and quench your skin’s thirst by keeping it moisturized and radiant.
5. Anti-aging and Improves Skin Elasticity
It can help in reducing fine lines, wrinkles, and slowing down the aging process of your skin. The antioxidants and Vitamin E in jojoba oil will help in keeping your skin smooth, supple, and moisturized.
6. Does Jojoba Oil Lighten the Skin?
By now, you already know the beneficial properties of jojoba oil. It contains Vitamin E that is known to improve various skin conditions and healing scars or breakouts. Jojoba oil can speed up the healing process and repair damaged skin.
Thus resulting in lightening dark spots and restoring skin complexion. It rejuvenates the skin by hydrating it and giving it all the nourishment that your skin needs to look healthy and supple.
Does Jojoba Oil Increase Collagen?
Jojoba oil is often used in many skincare formulations as it contains antioxidants that are extremely beneficial for the skin. According to a study, antioxidants may encourage collagen production and improve skin elasticity.
Collagen is a protein that is found throughout our body, in muscles, skin, hair, teeth, tendons, joints, and ligaments. As we get older, the collagen level production slows down thereby decreasing the structure and support it provides to our body.
While you can include collagen supplements in your diet, you can also use topical treatments to improve your skin. As jojoba oil includes antioxidants, it can help with premature aging and in minimizing the appearance of wrinkles and lines on your skin.
The Best Jojoba Oils for Every Skin Type
1. Viva Naturals Organic Jojoba Oil
Nourish your skin and make it softer and shinier with the Viva Naturals jojoba oil.
- It is 100% natural, organic, and unrefined with no additives or preservatives.
- Along with being an excellent facial oil, you can use it in body scrubs and face serums. You can also use it as a moisturizer for your hands and fingernails, or use it to remove makeup.
- It is a gentle oil that will easily get absorbed by the skin to give a natural glow.
2. Now Multipurpose Moisturizing Body Oil
This is another 100% pure moisturizing oil that’ll help in restoring the youthful appearance of your skin.
- This expeller-pressed vegan oil includes only Simmondsia Chinensis seed oil making it ideal for all skin types. It is all-natural with no synthetic ingredients or chemicals.
- The non-greasy formula of jojoba oil will hydrate and replenish your skin without making it oily.
- You can also use it on your hair or by adding a few drops of oil into your shampoo or conditioner for a softer feel.
3. Aura Cacia Jojoba Skin Care Oil
Give your skin a relaxing and soothing treatment with this oil. Aura Cacia is known for its pure botanical ingredients and high-quality essential oils.
- It is a non-comedogenic expeller-pressed oil with no synthetic fragrances, preservatives, or stabilizers. Tested by dermatologists, this oil is safe to be used daily by all skin types.
- It easily gets absorbed by the skin and you can also use it as an eye makeup remover.
- You can also blend this with other facial oils like rose or jasmine for all-day hydration.
4. Burt’s Bee Facial Oil
It is a fantastic facial oil that works together with rosehip extracts, jojoba oil, and evening primrose to give your skin a radiant shine.
- It offers complete nourishment by hydrating and rejuvenating dull skin.
- It also helps in dealing with premature aging by reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- It has no artificial ingredients, parabens, or harmful chemicals. It is a natural facial oil that is clinically tested to nourish all skin types.
Say goodbye to dull and dry skin by using this pure jojoba oil from Desert Essence.
- It is a 100% natural organic oil that you can use regularly on your skin, hair, and scalp nourishment.
- It moisturizes the skin without clogging pores or making the skin look greasy.
- You can use it for multiple purposes such as body massage oil, moisturizer for the skin, lips, and hair, makeup remover, or aftershave moisturizer.
Can I Use Jojoba Oil On My Face Everyday?
Yes, jojoba oil is known to be one of the most beneficial and loved skincare products. Its moisturizing and healing properties make it safe to be used daily or even multiple times in a day. You can use it as a facial massaging oil, facial cleanser, and of course moisturizer.
You can unwind by adding a few drops of jojoba oil to your favorite essential oils and make your bath a luxurious experience. Add it to your shampoo or conditioner, or use it as a hair serum to settle down any frizzy hair.
Can I Leave Jojoba Oil on My Face Overnight?
You can apply jojoba oil before sleeping and wake up to soft and supple skin. Our body and skin recover during the night by healing and producing growth hormones. You can use it as is or add a few drops of the oil to your nighttime cream to revitalize and heal the skin from any damage done during the day.
To summarize, jojoba oil is an emollient that can help your skin immensely. What makes it so amazing is its versatility. Be it as a facial oil, lotion, cleanser, makeup remover, face mask, lip balm, or serum, the way you wish to use the oil depends on your needs.
There are no drawbacks to using jojoba oil every day. However, if you want to be cautious, you can test the oil on a small part of your skin before applying it to the face. Go ahead and include jojoba oil in your skincare routine for radiant, soft, and healthy skin.