What does 925 mean on jewelry? Jewelry makers like using sterling or 925 silver in making jewelry due to its timelessness and trend.
Another good thing is that it’s durable, affordable, and does not tarnish easily. But what does 925 mean on jewelry?
Whenever people think about jewelry, they only think of gold and diamonds. But silver jewelry has existed since the earliest civilizations.
So if you’re about getting quality, and affordable accessories, then sterling silver jewelry with the 925 mark should be on your priority list.
The 925 code was put by jewelry makers for a reason. This stamping is a unique way of marking their jewelry to protect it from a fraudster.
So in this article, you’ll know what 925 means in jewelry.
What Does 925 Mean on Jewelry?
The 925 code on a piece of jewelry happens to be a hallmark that is very vital which informs buyers about the type of metal used in making the jewelry and also shows that the metal used is likely authentic.
You can mostly find the 925 code on silver jewelry, which is used to indicate sterling silver.
Although sometimes it can be stamped on gold jewelry. However, this can cause big confusion for lots of shoppers and can even lead to ripping off.
The 925 code on jewelry refers to the percentage of purity of the jewelry, as it indicates 92.5% which attests to its quality. However, the remaining 7.5% of the metal found in the jewelry happens to be an alloy of some kind, such as brass, copper, zinc, etc.
So this doesn’t mean that something is wrong with the jewelry. It simply shows you that ninety-two percent purity is great.
Whenever you see it on gold jewelry, it simply indicates that it’s gold-plated, and not solid gold.
The Purity and Durability of 925 Sterling Silver
The purity of silver is assessed on a numeric scale of up to 1,000, which means a thousand signifies pure silver. It means that silver is valued at 92.5%, which is also known as 925.
If any silver has less than 90 percent of silver, then it’s not sterling silver.
Note that one of the problems with these precious metals is that they are prone to corrosion. This means that you should regularly clean and rinse plated silver.
So finding a reputable jewelry supplier is important if you want to buy genuine sterling silver.
The Reason You Should Invest in 925 Sterling Silver
Whenever you shop for fashion accessories, ensure you check the quality of the materials used in making the item. Most times good looking items seen online deteriorate quickly, and this leads to disappointment and loss of money.
Here are the reasons you should invest in high-quality sterling silver jewelry:
Irrespective of what you want, whether casual, formal, or jewelry to wear on that occasion, a 925 stamped sterling silver will do the job.
925 sterling silver jewelry can last a lifetime when they are well maintained. Sterling silver jewelry can quickly become part of your heirloom.
It comes with additional copper and other metal that makes the sterling silver a tough and sturdy metal that can withstand everyday use.
The sterling silver jewelry is good for people that have sensitive skin due to its hypoallergenic ness. It won’t cause allergic reactions to you, which means it can be worn on any exposed part of the body.
4. It has endless styling options
No matter the styling option you have in mind, the jewelry with the 925 code can use sterling silver to bring your idea to life.
5. Upgrade your jewelry collection
It’s affordable which means you can purchase sterling silver items to quickly upgrade your collection. It is very easy to add new high-quality jewelry to your collection, from bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces to anklets.
6. Trendy jewelry
The trendy nature of 925 sterling silver makes you easily work with it since jewelry designers keep up with the latest trends on the market.
Important Ways You Can Care for Your 925 Jewelry
Every genuine 925 Jewelry is often sensitive to tarnish because of the copper used in making it hard and durable. As you know, coppers are reactive materials reacting with air moisture, oxygen, and sulfur.
So taking care of your 925 jewelry makes it remain cleaner and shinier for a longer time.
Here are some ways that could help you to make your 925 jewelry last long:
- Keep your 925 jewelry away from moisture, sun exposure, or heat.
- Prevent exposing it to air by storing it in a bag, and this will reduce the possibility of it coming close to any contaminants that will make them tarnish.
- Always use a silver polishing white cloth to clean and polish the metals.
- Make sure you don’t polish with any kind of paper, not even soft tissue paper because this will result in staining and scratches.
- You can make use of mild detergent which is usually the best solution for silver.
- Make sure you remove your jewelry before you get into chlorinated water.
- Always wear your 925 jewelry regularly.
What Does 925 Italy Mean on Jewelry?
Many people ask ‘’what does 925 mean on jewelry” while some ask what does 925 Italy mean on jewelry?
My answer is that whenever you see a piece of gold jewelry that is stamped with 925 Italy code, it simply means a gold plated jewelry that was produced in Italy. However, even though it isn’t solid gold, the jewelry can still be a valued addition to your fashion collection.
What Does 925 Mean on Jewelry With Diamonds?
Whenever you find any 925 engraved on any jewelry with diamond, it simply means it’s a sterling silver setting. Normally, most engagement rings or earrings with a larger center diamond will not be set in sterling silver since it is too soft.
But if you find a stamp that indicates “CZ,” it means a cubic zirconia stone and not a real diamond.
What Does 925 Mean on a Ring?
Normally, the 925 stamps on the ring will be placed on the inside. Most times, they are engraved very small, and therefore you should prepare a magnifying glass if you want to see it.
Note that sometimes the stamp engraved can be numbers, a letter, or even a combination of numbers and letters. I know it might be confusing sometimes because it has different markings on the ring but they all mean the same thing.
What Does 925 Sterling Silver Mean?
In case you see this 925 code embedded in silver jewelry, it means that the jewelry contains 92.5% silver. It also means that other elements like copper took up the remaining 7.5% of the entire jewelry.
Note that the remaining 7.5% of other metals might not always be copper.
Sometimes it can be nickel or zinc, but copper is preferred due to sensitive skin. This is due to the softness of silver, it also means mixing it with harder metals will make the jewelry more durable.
What Does 925 Mean on Gold?
The engraved 925 stamp on gold happens to be the hallmark that shows the metal authenticity and quality of any gold jewelry. There is the possibility that you would likely find it on both silver and gold jewelry, but they all have different meanings.
However, a lot of people think that 925 indicates that the jewelry is composed of 92.5% gold whenever they find it. But 925 gold jewelry is composed of sterling silver that is plated with gold.
Another condition is that the plating thickness shouldn’t be thinner than 2.5 microns. And this means that the thickness of the gold plating should be more significant than gold plated jewelry.
What Does 925 China Mean on Jewelry?
In case you see the 925 China code on any jewelry, it is a standard marking on jewelry that shows sterling silver jewelry.
So when you find “925” or “925 China” engraved on the item you thought was your gold jewelry, I’ll tell you that the jewelry contains 92.5% sterling silver content on it, and it is just a piece of gold-plated jewelry.
However, the remaining 7.2% contains other metal elements such as nickel, copper, or zinc. You should be careful of Chinese Silver that carries the mark “S925”, it is an indication of nickel/copper that comes with a silver coating.
Make sure you don’t confuse it with Scandinavian Silver which also carries the same mark “S925” and happens to be pure 92.5% silver.
I hope I have been able to answer your question on what does 925 mean on jewelry. Irrespective of whether your jewelry is silver or gold-plated, make sure to check the hallmark engraved on it and pay the fair price accordingly.
However, the jewelry price will depend on the quality of the silver and model. But note that other details, such as personalized engraving, embedded gemstone, ornaments, size, mill grain, and weight, will affect the jewelry’s overall pricing.