Dreaming of jazzing up your nails at home without having to go to a salon? If yes, then a nail drill is a perfect tool for getting a professional manicure and pedicure at home. A nail drill is basically an essential tool for nail care. It can be used to file and shape acrylic nails, clean natural nails, fix cuticles, and remove dead skin. So, if you are considering on getting an electric nail file, then always pay attention to these important factors:
- Speed range/rotational speed(RPM)
- Design and shape
- Type of drill bits
We will discuss the features in detail further ahead in this article. For now, let us first understand the basics of nail drills and why we need them.
What are Nail Drills
A nail drill is an electric tool that is often used during manicure and pedicure to get beautified and well-sculpted nails. A nail drill set comes with different nail drilling bits and sanding bands that can be used for various purposes such as polishing the nails and edges, removing calluses, and more.
You must have noticed beauticians and trained technicians in spas and parlors use these electric nail files to smoothen and shape natural and artificial nails such as acrylic, glass, or silk wrap. Nail drills are used on acrylic nails to prepare them for nail polish and various nail art designs.
A nail drill is a handheld tool, designed like a pen, to achieve precision and accuracy during use. Nail drills are easy to use, but beginners need to practice and read the safety instructions to avoid any terrible accidents. Once you get used to them, you can save money and time by conveniently getting a manicure and pedicure at home.
What are Nail Drills Used For
Well, the most important use of nail drills is for shaping and smoothing nails. However, there are other uses of nail drills. Some of these include:
- Nail drills can be used to excellently tidy up and shape your natural and acrylic nails.
- They are mostly used on acrylic nails to repair cracks, remove lifted acrylics, and thin down the nail extensions before putting them on natural nails.
- Professionals in salons, use nail drills to shape and buff the natural nails.
- You can also fix cuticles, remove dead skin, smoothen the calluses, or other dry or hard areas around the edges of your nails and toenails.
- Nail drills efficiently do the job of carving, grinding, polishing, drilling, and sanding the nails.
Important Features of Nail Drills
There are many nail drills available in the market, but how will you know which is the right one for you? Some of the important features that you will need to consider before buying a new nail drill include:
Power and Speed Settings
One of the most important factors to pay attention to while purchasing a good-quality nail drill is the revolutions per minute (RPM). Nail drills with a speed range of around 25,000 to 30,000 RPM offer excellent and efficient performance. Nail drills with power below 25,000 RPMs will not offer smooth operation when you try to remove heavy products off the acrylic nails and might even turn off during use.
Experts recommend not to go above 15,000 RPMs while using the nail drill on natural nails and the cuticle area.
Nail drills with low vibrations are easy and comfortable to use for long hours. You do not want a nail drill that vibrates a lot while you are working on your nails and toenails. This is because it gets difficult to achieve the right precision and too many vibrations can even damage the nails.
The next thing to prioritize is the shape and weight of the nail drill. A lightweight nail drill that offers a comfortable grip will allow better precision. Try to avoid tools that look too bulky or too narrow as you will find it difficult to handle them during use. Corded drills are considered to be a better option as compared to cordless drills as they are generally heavy, bulky, and a bit more expensive.
Nail Drill Bits
Nail drill bits come in varying shapes, sizes, materials, and grits to serve different purposes. The common type of materials for nail drill bits include mandrel/sanding band, ceramic bits, diamond bits, and carbide bits. If you are a beginner, then you can buy a nail drill set which comes with a set of drill bits.
Price and Quality
Always invest in a good-quality nail drill as it pays off in the long run. This will ensure safety, ease of maintenance, and reliability. Do not buy nail drills that are cheap as you might end up having a bad experience. Also, don’t get too carried away by professional high-end nail drills. The budget to consider can be anywhere between $45 to $200 to get professional results at home.
Before purchasing a nail drill, finalize its purpose. Are you going to use it on natural nails or acrylic nails? Will you be its only user or is it going to be shared with family and friends? Based on this, you can buy nail drills that go up to 15,000 RPM which are intended for simpler purposes. Whereas, the nail drills that go up to 30,000 RPM are meant for advanced or professional needs.
Top Five Highly-rated Nails Drills to Buy
The speed range of this stylish and compact nail drill goes up to 30,000 RPM to achieve professional results.
- It comes with six drill bits and six sanding bands to file, shape, buff nails, fix cuticles, smoothens calluses, and more.
- Its powerful performance offers high precision during carving, engraving, sanding, and polishing.
- The low noise, low vibration, and low heat design allow you to use the device for an extended period of time.
- It is designed with a hand knob and a foot pedal to adjust speed during use. The foot pedal offers extreme efficiency.
This professional nail drill is lightweight and comfortable to use as it is made of high-quality aluminum alloy.
- It offers a speed of up to 30,000 RPM, ensuring high performance.
- Its low noise, low heat, and low vibration design make it ideal for beginners as well as professionals.
- The twist-lock feature of the nail drill allows you to easily change the drill bits and lock them in place during use.
- The versatile and vertical design of this nail drill allows portability and easy storage.
Alle’s nail drill machine is highly-rated for its powerful performance, lightweight design, and multifunctionality.
- It is perfect for grinding, carving, cutting, shaping, polishing gel and nail arts.
- The speed control knob offers precision with a speed range that goes up to 30,000 RPM.
- Its switch rotation feature makes the machine suitable for right and left-hand use.
- Made from aluminum, this nail drill is comfortable to hold and can be used for long hours.
- This compact and portable drill set comes with six different drill bits and a pack of 100 sanding bands.
This powerful nail drill is designed for professionals who are looking for a high performing and reliable machine.
- This cordless and rechargeable drill set is in a higher price range as it is built for professional nail technicians. It is equipped with ceramic, silver carbide and diamond bits.
- It offers a speed of up 35,000 RPM and up to 20-hours of battery life.
- The device is lightweight, compact, and offers quiet operation with no vibration.
Belle is a cordless, compact, and portable luxury drill set. It ensures high performance with speed reaching up to 35,000 RPM for professional manicure and pedicure results.
- This rechargeable nail drill offers up to 8 to 10 hours of battery life. Its quick charge system takes only around two hours to charge the device completely.
- It has a lightweight design for high precision. Plus, its quiet, smooth, and vibration-free operation make it easy to use.
- On the TFT display, you can check the RPM and battery level during use.
Best Nail Drills for Beginners
Beginners need to buy good-quality nail drills as you do not want to ruin your first experience by using a product that does not live up to your expectations.
This professional nail drill machine is perfect for beginners, as it is designed with a foot pedal to achieve maximum efficiency and precision. With a foot pedal, you can easily turn the device on and off during use.
- This drill is designed with a high-speed torque motor and speed control knob that reaches up to 30,000 RPM.
- It comes with six drill bits that you can use for grinding, sharpening, sanding, polishing acrylic nails, and removing gel polish.
- You can also use it to fix cuticles, shaping, and buffing your nails.
- Made from aluminum alloy, this electric nail drill is lightweight, compact, and comfortable to hold.
Sleek and multifunctional, this electric nail drill is great for first-timers to get professional results at home.
- It is a cordless and rechargeable nail drill that offers up to 8 hours of continuous operation.
- It has a lightweight aluminum body with a powerful and quiet motor. You can use the speed knob to easily adjust the speed that can go up to 30,000 RPM.
- This kit comes with six drill bits that can be used to shape acrylic nails and remove hard gel nail polish and decorations effortlessly.
Can You Use Nail Drills on Natural Nails
No, nail drills are designed to be used on artificial nails. Do not use these tools to carve nail art or to remove polishes from your natural nails as the power and speed of the nail drill can crack the surface of your natural nails and damage them. However, you can use nail drills on a low speed, between 2,500 – 7,000 RPM, to shape the natural nails, remove any excess dead skin, or to push back the cuticle.
Can You Use Nail Drills at Home
Yes, you can use nail drills at home. All you need is a little bit of practice and understanding of how to use a nail drill. There are some basic safety measures and steps that you need to remember while using a nail drill.
- Read the instruction manual to understand the device and the specific uses of each drill bit.
- Sanitize your drill bits before use. Always start at a low speed until you become comfortable with the machine.
- Set the speed to low while using the cleaning bit on your natural nails to prevent irritation of the skin.
- While using acrylic nails, you will need to keep your natural nails short. To shape the natural nails, you can use the barrel bit that comes with the machine.
- Always remember to clean the tools and sanitize them after use to prevent bacterial infections. Do not overlook this step as you can prevent the spread of germs. Also, the accumulation of nail dust on the machine can make it noisy and disrupt its functionality.
Can Nail Drills Damage Nails
Nail drills cannot damage nails when you use them properly. Always remember to use the right drill bits and speed range based on the purpose. You can use nail drills to keep your acrylic nails in shape after manicures and pedicures, instead of running every time to the parlor to fix cracks.
Why Do Salons Use Nail Drills
Salons use nail drills for efficiency, perfection, and quickness, especially when you need to work on many clients in a single day. Manicurists and pedicurists are well-trained and have a good amount of experience with nail drills. With the help of electric nail drills, nail technicians can quickly update designs on nail art, remove old polish, fix cracks, or remove acrylic nails in no time.
These tools also make it easier to file, shape, and rough up the surface of acrylic nails before applying them to your natural nails. Most importantly, nail drills are extremely useful to achieve that perfect, finished look.