Cerave and Cetaphil are some of the most popular skincare brands available on the market. The product line for both brands include moisturizers, cleansers, body lotions, body wash, baby products etc. These products have been scientifically tested and approved for various skin conditions and issues.
Many people have a hard time trying to find out which product is best for their needs between Cerave vs Cetaphil brands. Luckily, we have explored the different Cerave and Cetaphil products and have provided the information below. You can now decide for yourself which product is best for your needs. Some of the bestsellers are listed in the table below.
Cerave Vs Cetaphil Body Moisturizers
- Cerave Vs Cetaphil Body Moisturizers
- Cerave Vs Cetaphil Facial Moisturizers
- Cerave Vs Cetaphil Cleansers
- Video: How to Choose the Best Moisturizer
- Important Ingredients in Body Moisturizers
- Major Difference Between Cerave Vs Cetaphil
- How to Choose the Best Moisturizing Cream (Cerave Vs Cetaphil)
- Which Moisturizing Cream is the Best between Cerave and Cetaphil
- Comparing Alternatives to Cerave
- Other Moisturizing Product Alternatives
Moisturizers prevent water loss through the skin and restores the protective skin barrier which keeps the skin from becoming dry and brittle. Most moisturizers contain emollients used in formulating different types of moisturizers for specific skin conditions like dry skin, psoriasis, acne etc.
The best time to apply or use moisturizers is shortly after having a bath, before you dress up and you can use it day or night whenever you need it.
Moisturizers are formulated and delivered in different forms such as facial moisturizers, body moisturizers, body lotion, and body creams.
Cerave moisturizing cream contains three essential ceramides (ceramide 1, 3 and 6-II) that work 24 hours to provide hydration to the skin, moisturize it and restore the protective skin barrier.
It is formulated with hyaluronic acid which helps in retaining skin natural moisture and prevents the skin from dryness. It is free of fragrance, oil, and it is non-comedogenic. Cerave moisturizing cream is suitable for sensitive skin because it does not contain any ingredients that may cause skin irritations.
Cerave Moisturizing Cream Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phytosphingosine, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum
- Intense and lasting moisture to replenish sensitive, dry skin — great for eczema-prone and very dry skin
- Clinically proven to provide immediate, long-lasting hydration that soothes dry, itchy skin
- Unique formula attracts water to the skin and helps prevent moisture loss
Cetaphil moisturizing cream is formulated to provide immediate long-lasting hydration that is soothing to dry itchy skin. The cream works by attracting moisture to the skin and preventing its loss through skin surface. The emollients and humectants contained in the cream work to prevent moisture loss from the skin.
Cetaphil moisturizing cream is non-comedogenic and it is suitable for people with sensitive skin because it does not contain irritants like lanolin, parabens, etc.
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Petrolatum, Dicaprylyl Ether, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, PEG-30 Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide
Cerave Vs Cetaphil Facial Moisturizers
Facial moisturizers are important in keeping the face moisturized and supple. The face is usually bare without any covering like other parts of the body. This can exposed the face to harsh weather conditions like dry air, sunlight which may cause the facial skin to become lose moisture and become dry.
Facial moisturizers are important in preventing dryness of facial skin, replenishing skin cells, and protecting the skin from harsh sunlight. You can check out both Cerave and Cetaphil facial moisturizers to see the one that is most suitable for your skin or face.
- [ BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 30 ] A micro-fine zinc oxide sunscreen for UVA/UVB protection. This CeraVe moisturizer with SPF is a hydrating facial lotion that spreads easily, is absorbed quickly, and leaves a non-greasy finish
- [ OIL FREE DAY CREAM ] Use this daily face sunscreen as the last step in a morning skincare routine. If layering with an eye cream, moisturizer or facial serum, apply Cerave AM facial lotion after other product applications have been fully absorbed
- [ SUNSCREEN WITH NIACINAMIDE ] Contains Hyaluronic Acid to retain skin's moisture and Niacinamide to help calm skin. MVE Technology delivers hydration throughout the day
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
Cerave Facial Moisturizers are creams and lotions that are non-comedogenic with SPF-30 sunscreen to protect the skin from harsh sun rays that may cause sunburns. The products also contain other essential ingredients like hyaluronic acid, niacinamide and ceramides that protect and help in the restoration of skin cells.
Cerave facial moisturizing lotion formulas do not clog pores and they are suitable for sensitive skin. There is a wide range of Cerave facial moisturizers including morning and evening facial lotion formulas.
- Nourishes and hydrates the skin for 8 hours
- Helps defend against sunburn with optimal blend of 5 filters
- Specifically formulated for the face
- Fragrance free and non irritating; Won't clog pores
Cetaphil has a wide range of different facial moisturizers that are all developed to cleanse facial skin deeply without removing the skin. It is a low lathering, gentle and non-drying formula that thoroughly removes dirt, surface oils, makeup, etc. without tightening or drying the skin. It is non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic formula that works well on sensitive skin too.
Cetaphil facial moisturizers do not only nourish and hydrate the skin, they also contains broad-spectrum SPF 15 that protects the skin from damaging sunlight. These facial moisturizers restore and improve the skin’s ability to retain moisture without clogging pores or leaving any residue on the skin.
Cerave Vs Cetaphil Cleansers
Cleansers are products that are formulated to remove dirt, oil, makeup residue, dead skin cells, and other substances that be deposited on the skin or face (for facial cleansers). These products clear up and unclog pores which helps to prevent acne. It is usually recommended that cleansers should be used with a toner and moisturizer. Fortunately, most cleanser formulations now contain moisturizers so you don’t have to buy a separate moisturizer.
- [ FOAMING CLEANSER ] Dispenses as a clear gel cleanser and transforms into a foam as you lather. Cleanses without leaving skin feeling tight, dry, or stripped
- [ ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
- [ DERMATOLOGIST RECOMMENDED ] CeraVe Skincare is developed with dermatologists and has products suitable for different skin types, including dry skin, oily skin, acne-prone, and more
- [ DAILY FACE WASH ] Fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, non-drying, and non-irritating. Gently refreshes and effectively removes excess oil, dirt, and makeup
Cerave facial cleanser contains three essential ceramides (1,3,6-II) that cleanses the skin and remove dirt from the skin without altering the skincare barrier. It is formulated with hyaluronic acid which ensures retention of skin moisture and niacinamide which helps in calming the skin. It is non-comedogenic, non-drying and non-irritating. There are various variants of Cerave facial cleansers, but they largely work the same way.
- Removes surface oils, dirt and makeup without leaving skin tight or overly dry.
- Gentle enough for everyday use.
- Removes excess oil without drying.
- The package dimension of the product is 5.3cmL x 9.7cmW x 18.8cmH
This is a non-striping and non-irritating cleansing formula that is very effective in removing dirt, excess surface oil, makeup remnants etc. It is non-comedogenic and the lather it produces does not clog pores. It is a gentle facial cleanser that is non-irritating and very suitable for any skin type including sensitive skin. It also has different variants for oily skin and dry skin that work in a similar way.
Video: How to Choose the Best Moisturizer
Important Ingredients in Body Moisturizers
There are four major types of ingredients in moisturizers that are very important in making body moisturizers effective. The main purpose of body moisturizers is the maintenance of healthy skin by increasing retention of water by the skin and reducing the excessive loss of moisture from the skin which causes dry skin. The major ingredients include -:
Humectants -: These agents work by attracting water to the external layer of the skin known as the epidermis. The moisture is absorbed from the inner layer of the skin known as the dermis to the outer layer.
Humectants can also absorb water from the atmosphere during humid weather conditions when humidity is over 70 percent. Examples of humectants include -: glycerin, hyaluronic acid, propylene glycerol, ammonium lactate, etc.
Occlusives -: Occlusives act to prevent easy water loss from the skin especially through evaporation. They work to reduce evaporation through trans-epidermal water loss by forming a protective thin layer over the epidermis.
Most occlusive are oil-based and may feel greasy when applied. Some of them are petrolatum-based and may clog skin pores causing acne. Examples of occlusive include -: beeswax, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, mineral oil, paraffin oil, lanolin, cocoa butter, etc.
Emollients -: These ingredients essentially act as lubricants to the skin. They soften the skin without adding moisture. They help in maintaining soft and smooth skin and act to prevent the skin from becoming dry and rough. They also work to enhance easy exfoliation or peeling of the skin without causing the skin layer to break or dry.
Some emollients can also act as occlusives too and are usually effective in skin conditions that cause dry skin like psoriasis. Examples of emollient ingredients in moisturizers include -: Castor oil, lanolin, ceramides, glyceryl stearates, isopropyl palmitate, etc.
Miscellaneous -: These are ingredients that are just additives to the preparation that may help in various ways like reducing oxidation processes, enhancing the antioxidant effects of some of the ingredients, etc.
The table below shows the classification of some of the ingredients in Cerave and Cetaphil
|Humectants||Hyaluronic Acid, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride||Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer|
|Emollients||Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Cetyl Alcohol||Cetyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethiconol, Phenoxyethanol|
|Occlusives||Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben||Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, PEG-30 Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate|
Major Difference Between Cerave Vs Cetaphil
The main difference between Cerave and Cetaphil moisturizers is that Cerave contains Ceramides while most Cetaphil products do not contain ceramides (only a few of them do contain ceramides). Ceramides are naturally occurring skin lipids that help in maintaining the structural integrity of the skin.
They help the skin to retain moisture effectively and without this important compound, the skin loses moisture and becomes dry, itchy, and irritated. Ceramides make up about half of the skin barrier.
How to Choose the Best Moisturizing Cream (Cerave Vs Cetaphil)
While both Cerave and Cetaphil are good choices of body moisturizers, they may not be very effective for everybody. There are individual considerations or peculiarities with the things you are tolerant of and those things which your skin may be sensitive to. This will help you make the right choice that is best for your skin between these two moisturizers. There are a few things you need to know as you consider your choice of best body moisturizing cream. These include -:
Avoid Fragrance -: Chemicals used in making fragrances are irritable to most people with sensitive skin. This scientific study described how various cosmetics, fragrances, and preservatives can be skin irritants. If you have sensitive skin, ensure that you use fragrance-free moisturizing creams. Fortunately, both Cerave and Cetaphil are fragrance-free moisturizers.
Polysaturated Oils -: Oils are mostly used in moisturizers as occlusive agents, but polysaturated oils are chemically unstable and can become reactive, a process that results in the production of byproducts (oxidants and free radicals) that are irritable to the skin.
It is always better to use moisturizing creams that are made with saturated or monosaturated oils like triglycerides, coconut oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Petroleum Derivative -: Petroleum products that are often used in moisturizers as occlusive agents may also cause undesired skin irritation or acne. This is because the thin film of petroleum on the skin can occlude skin pores causing dead skin cells and bacteria to be trapped in skin pores which may cause acne breakouts in some sensitive skin types. Both Cerave and Cetaphil have petroleum ingredients in them.
The most important thing in picking the best moisturizing cream for your skin is to determine any chemical agent that your skin is sensitive to and try to find products that do not have this ingredient or its alternative that may work well for you.
Which Moisturizing Cream is the Best between Cerave and Cetaphil
Based on user reviews and ingredients analysis, Cerave has more useful ingredients than Cetaphil because of the high quality and types of ceramides that Cerave Moisturizing cream has. However, you need to choose the cream that works best for your skin.
Comparing Alternatives to Cerave
Cerave Vs Aquaphor
- One essential solution for many skin care needs: Use as a lip moisturizer, hand cream, foot cream for dry cracked feet, minor wound care and much more
- Different from a lotion or cream, this ointment nourishes skin while creating a protective barrier that allows for the flow of oxygen to create an ideal healing environment
- Extreme weather conditions and frequent exposure to water, hand soap, and hand sanitizer can cause dry cracked hands and cuticles. Use Aquaphor Healing Ointment over night as a hand cream for dry hands to restore moisture to enhance healing
- Preservative and fragrance free, specifically for sensitive skin and clinically proven to restore smooth, healthy skin
Aquaphor healing ointment is a good alternative to Cerave or Cetaphil moisturizers. It is important to know the difference between Cerave vs Aquaphor when comparing them to know which product is best suited for your needs. Aquaphor is uniquely formulated to heal broken skin whether its cracked heels, chapped lips, or cracked hands (palms) as well as smoothen dry skin to prevent it from eventually breaking. The difference between Cerave moisturizing cream or lotion and Aquaphor is more on the product ingredients than uses. Both products are used for largely the same purposes.
The active ingredient in Aquaphor is petrolatum (41%), inactive ingredients include mineral oil, ceresin, lanolin alcohol, panthenol, glycerin, and bisabolol.
Aquaphor does not contain any fragrance, dyes, or preservatives and it is suitable for sensitive skin and it has great five-star user reviews too.
Cerave Vs Aveeno
- 11-ounces of Aveeno Skin Relief Moisture Repair Cream is fragrance-free and provides intense moisture to help relieve extra-dry skin and restore skin's moisture barrier
- It's specially formulated with soothing Triple Oat Complex containing oat flour, oat oil and extract, and protective ceramide and rich emollients to deeply hydrate skin and prevent moisture loss
- Our extra-dry skin cream is clinically proven to moisturize for a full 24 hours for long-lasting, all-day hydration and is also fragrance-free, steroid-free and non-comedogenic
- Smooth this dry skin moisturizer cream generously over your body to relieve and restore extra-dry skin. Start by cleansing skin with Aveeno Skin Relief Body Wash for soft, healthier-looking skin.
Aveeno moisturizing body cream is another good alternative to Cerave or Cetaphil moisturizing lotions. It is formulated from active natural colloidal oatmeal with rich emollients that prevent and protect you having dry skin. It makes your skin to feel smooth and soft by protecting it from losing moisture. It has been clinically proven to provide relief from dry skin and it is also suitable for people with dry itchy sensitive skin. It is also fragrance-free, non-greasy, and non-comedogenic. The difference between Cerave vs Aveeno is also with the ingredients and both products can achieve similar results of smooth, healthy, soft skin.
Lubriderm Vs Cetaphil
There is a difference between Lubriderm body lotion vs Cetaphil moisturizing lotions but they have some ingredients in common and both products may also produce similar results too depending on skin types and other factors.
Lubriderm daily moisture lotion is enriched with Vitamin B5 and it is clinically proven to keep skin moisturized for 24 hours. It acts to replenish and moisturize dry skin by creating a skin barrier that prevents loss of moisture from the skin. It is ideal for use with normal or dry skin types. It does not contain any fragrance and it is a non-greasy and fragrance-free lotion that keeps your body soft and moisturized for the whole day.
Lubriderm daily moisture lotion ingredients include Water, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Carbomer, Ceteareth-20, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Citrate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Ethylparaben, and Panthenol.
The similarities between Lubriderm vs Cetaphil is that both lotions are fragrance-free, non-greasy lotions with humectants like glycerin, emollients like cetyl alcohol, and dimethicone.
Other Moisturizing Product Alternatives
- CERAMIDE MOISTURIZER: Repairs very dry skin and fights dryness at its source with a Ceramide 3 and Natural Moisturizing Factors enriched formula for 48-hour hydration.
- ESSENTIAL MOISTURIZING FACTORS: Enriched with Natural Moisturizing Factors also known as NMF, which includes amino acids naturally found in the skin, it works to intensively boost moisture and help prevent dryness from recurring.
- DRY SKIN RELIEF : Lightweight, non-greasy body cream lotion that leaves very dry skin feeling smooth, it is absorbed quickly for softer skin.
- DERMATOLOGIST RECOMMENDED: For over 100 years, Eucerin has pioneered skincare innovation. Today we are trusted as one of the leading and most recommended brands. Our products are designed to protect, support, moisturize, and enhance the look of skin.
Eucerin Intensive Repair lotion is a good lotion for people experiencing dry and flaky skin. It is made from a triple acting formula that moisturizes, exfoliates, and conditions dry rough skin. Eucerin lotion provides relief from dry skin by moisturizing and repairing broken skin. It exfoliates dead skin cells gently and at the same time moisturizes the skin. Besides dry skin relief, Eucerin is also good for eczema relief. It is made with special moisturizing agents buffered with alpha-hydroxy compounds.
Eucerin Ingredients include Water, Mineral Oil, Octyldodecanol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Palmitate, Sodium Lactate, Urea, Glycerin, PEG-7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Benzyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Methoxy PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, PEG-45/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Magnesium Sulfate, Lactic Acid, Ozokerite, PEG-2 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sorbitan Isostearate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil.
You don’t have to worry if you have sensitive skin, Eucerin is fragrance-free and non-comedogenic so it won’t clog your pores too. There are other variants of Eucerin specially formulated for face, hand, body, and foot, you can check and try anyone that works best for you.
- Infused with deep moisture serum and almond oil
- Intensively moisturizes for 48 hours
- Noticeably reduced skin roughness after just 1 application
- Designed for dry to very dry skin
This Nivea body lotion is effective in providing nourishing moisture to very dry skin for up to 48 hours. It is a lightweight formula that contains deep moisture serum that moisturizes and smoothens the skin. The formula works by gently melting into the skin to lock in moisture and keep the skin hydrated for long periods up to 48 hours.
Nivea Lotion ingredients include: Water, Mineral Oil, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Petrolatum, PEG-40 Sorbitan Perisostearate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil , Magnesium Sulfate, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate. Nivea body lotion is good for the face because it is lightweight and most likely will not clog facial skin pores.
Check here for other variants for Nivea body lotion.
- Healing lotion improves skin‘s tone, texture, and luminosity
- Contains a unique illuminating HYDRALUCENCE blend and Vitamins C, E, and B5
- Heals dryness at the source by penetrating through 5 layers of the skin‘s surface
- Absorbs quickly and locks in moisture for up to 48 hours
Jergens Ultra Healing Moisturizer is formulated to repair skin dryness by penetrating through the skin layers to heal dryness and broken skin from within and it works on the external skin to improve the tone and texture of the skin. The formula is absorbed easily into the skin and it contains ingredients like vitamins C, E, and B5 that are very important for healthy skin.
The ability of the formula to get absorbed easily helps it to quickly moisturize and heal parts of the body like heels, elbows, knees etc. that are vulnerable to skin dryness. Another good feature of Jergens is the ability of the formula to keep the skin moisturized for up to 48 hours.
Jergens Ingredients include water, glycerin, Cetearyl alcohol, petrolatum, stearic acid, c12-15 alkyl benzoate, aluminum starch octenyl succinate, Dimethicone, Laureth-3, ceteareth-20, MDM hydantoin, allantoin, methylparaben, arginine, sodium hydroxide, propylparaben, carbomer, fragrance, panthenol, pentylene glycol, lecithin, alcohol, ascorbyl palmitate, tocopherol.
Jergens moisturizers are also available in several variants.
Gold Bond Radiance Renewal Lotion is formulated from several strong moisturizing agents like coconut oil, shea butter and cocoa butter with rich hydration properties. All these agents work together to prevent flaky, dry skin. The formula also contains exfoliants and other ingredients that gently exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells and provide hydration to prevent or heal dry flaky skin.
Gold Bond ingredients include Water, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Dimethicone, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Jojoba Esters, Gluconolactone, Petrolatum, Steareth-21, Cetyl Alcohol, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ammonium Lactate, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glyceryl Stearate, Methyl Gluceth-20, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Extract, Ceramide NS, Ceramide EOS, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger)
Gold Bond is also available in different variants and you can find them here.
- Pack of 2, each 13 oz
- Heals skin's moisture barrier so that skin can better lock-in and maintain moisture over time
- Protects skin from dryness for over 24 hours
- Extra-strength hydrating agents provide instant relief
Curel Daily Healing Body Lotion for Dry Skin is formulated with advanced ceramide complex and shea butter and other ingredients and it works by hydrating dry irritated itchy skin to bring relief. It also helps in restoring the natural barrier on the skin layer to prevent moisture loss from the skin. The formula is non-irritating, non-greasy, fast-absorbing which makes it suitable for use on the face. It also contains advanced ceramide complex that restores the skin ceramide levels which then prevents signs and symptoms of dry damaged skin from reoccurring. The formula is effective in moisturizing the skin for up to 24 hours resulting in a smooth, hydrated skin.
Curel Daily Healing Body Lotion ingredients include water, glycerin, distearyldimonium chloride, petrolatum, isopropyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, methylparaben, ethylparaben, fragrance, sodium chloride, cetyl-pg hydroxyethyl palmitate, butylene glycol, Butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, eucalyptus globulus leaf extract, gelatin, acacia Senegal gum.
There are variants of Curel Daily Healing Lotion that are formulated specific additives or ingredients to meet specific dry skincare needs. You can check them all out here.